Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies: Book Review

Novel: The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies by Lizabeth Zindel
Release Date: May 15th, 2008
Publisher: Viking Juvenile

Format: Hardcover Novel
Source: Library
When does truth become gossip? 

Maggie's parents have just split up, and she's moved from New Jersey to New York City with her mom. Desperate to make new friends and to distract herself from troubles at home, she falls in with a group of social butterflies at the ritzy private school she now attends. These girls keep a top-secret record of their classmates, most intimate details on a wall in one of their apartments. Maggie's friends insist they are collecting the truth--not gossip--about the lives of today's teenagers. But she soon learns that certain information in the wrong hands can do irreparable damage. 

(Synopsis from Goodreads)

Willa's Rambles:
   The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies was recommended to me by my librarian, and I trusted her, as usual, and also per usual, she didn't lead me wrong.
   I really liked The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies! Maggie was left out, and like all of us,  and wanted to be "in" at her new school. But, she may or may not have fell in with the right people. 
   One thing I did not like about this book was the way The Revelers were written about at the beginning - mainly Victoria and Lexi. They're willingness to let Maggie in after knowing her one night didn't sound real to me, especially after reading more and learning more about The Reveler's ways. Sydney was my favorite Reveler because she was nice! She stood up for Maggie and tried not to bring bad rumors to the group - or "truths" as the group called them.
   I believe that mean girls and feeling left out are issues that every teenager - including myself - have come across, and Zindel did a fantastic job digging around inside a special case of populars. 
   The question is - can Maggie bring down The Revelers once and for all?

So sorry readers about my lack of posting. Finals are in full swing and are KILLING me with their hateful glares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I reads every comment, and I'm so happy you want to let us know what you thought.