Monday, January 23, 2012

The Catastrophic History of You and Me: Book Review

Novel: The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg
Release Date: February 2nd, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill

Format: ARC
Source: BookPeople Teen Reviewing Program
Challenge: Debut Author Challenge 2012
Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever. 
BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally. 
But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after. 
With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?
 Willa's Rambles:
   At the synopsis of The Catastrophic History of You and Me, I wasn't too excited about it.  But I still gave it a chance because of all the positive reviews from various blogs, and I'm so glad I did!
   The minute I met Brie in the novel, I liked her. I liked her humor and the way she feels everything so deeply. You can immediately relate to the way she reacts to things, and how you think, "Oh, I know how she feels". The humor of the novel was probably my favorite thing about the novel. Patrick creates infinite nicknames for Brie, all different sorts of cheeses, and sometimes he says things, and I just say, "HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT?". It's like John Green humor in that way - the laugh-out-loud humor. 
   The idea behind the novel is so fresh and original - I mean how do you even research the topic of your heart shattering in half? Jess Rothenberg created a world of haunting and beautiful at the same time. 
   I really enjoyed The Catastrophic History of You and Me is fresh and new and worthy of the praise it has received. 

1 comment:

  1. I was also pleasantly surprised by this one. I would love to see the author write some contemporary too! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I reads every comment, and I'm so happy you want to let us know what you thought.