Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Switched: Book Review

Novel: Switched by Amanda Hocking
Release Date: January 3rd, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher
Challenge: None
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.  
Shout out to St. Martin's Griffin for sending me my first novel from a publisher! I'm a very happy book blogger.

Willa's Rambles:
   Usually, I'm not really a fantasy person. Trolls, fairies, and fantasy creatures usually aren't my thing - I like paranormal instead. But I accepted the request because my friend Jess of Remarkable Reads loved it and I was taken by the cover, so I thought I would give it a try.
   I read Switched in four/five hours. Wendy's story had me begging for more, and flipping pages until I couldn't keep my eyes open. The world of Wendy Everly is one that is new, original and unforgettable. It might be my favorite fantasy of all-time.
   Wendy can't seem to fit in, she has no friends, and she's constantly causing trouble without meaning to. Sure, she uses her power to her advantage, but wouldn't anyone in her situation? So when Finn Holmes comes along and tells her she is a troll, and then describes characteristics Wendy can't help but recognize, she has to face the truth. She's Trylle. Her new life is overwhelming, and she is continually surprised and frightened by the things she sees. Can she get over her fear and live up to her destiny? Or will she fall back to what she knows and for the boy she can't help but love?
   The relationships Wendy has are complicated, and she is introduced to a society she both loves and hates - she can't stand their system of rank, but she loves their world and the beauty that comes with it. But it's a life she doesn't know - or understand, and as readers, we uncover the secrets with Wendy and watch her make decisions and face her future.
   I loved Switched for it's beautiful plot, fantastic characters, and incredible story. I fell in love with Wendy's story, and and the people around her. Switched might be one of my favorites of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I reads every comment, and I'm so happy you want to let us know what you thought.