Friday, February 24, 2012

TGIF {27}: Required Reading

Which book from your school days do you remember reading & enjoying? Is there a book published now that you'd like to see in today's curriculum for kids?

Since I still am a kid, and still am in school, I guess I choose the books I wish would be required reading! Most of these are ones that I love, or have an amazing message/writing/theme.
 
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta - Anyone with half a mind knows I adore this book so, so, so much. Taylor and the things she deals with are not only a part of growing up and finding out who you are, but also, Melina Marchetta has an amazing writing style that I could studying for days. And Jonah Griggs is my true love.

The Book Theif by Markus Zusak - I love how this book presents historical fiction in a way that is so intriguing! The setting is in Germany in a small town, and a girl is saving books (something any book lover would do) and this book is perfect for Banned Books Week.

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini - This is book battles suicide in a way that no other does. Everyone raves about Thirteen Reasons Why, but I barely hear anyone talk about this one! It confronts suicide from a boy's perspective and with a different cause, and a different way of coming to a conclusion. This one should be on every kid's To-Read List! Plus, the movie is great.

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - Every English class on the planet should study Tahereh Mafi's writing style, because it blew me away. It was the most amazing thing about this novel - even more than the plotline in someways! Tahereh Mafi's writing is beautiful, and I wish I could write like her. Plus, the topic is so interesting, as is any Dystopian.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - TFiOS brings a new side of cancer to light - and one that is heartbreakingly beautiful. I loved the characters dearly and the way John Green writes, with humor and sentimental scenes all mixed in, is incredible. I love this book so much.

That's my top five! Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I reads every comment, and I'm so happy you want to let us know what you thought.