Friday, September 30, 2011

TGIF: Banned Books

Banned Books: How do you feel about the censorship of the freedom to read? Do you think the education system needs to be more strict on what children are exposed to in books?


Last week I missed the TGIF due to my homework and mind. I seemed to have forgotten. (I know! Me, forgetting? WOW!) But, you know, I am human, not just this book blogger you read from behind a screen. Therefore, I forgot.


To the point of this post. I have already given my opinion about Banned Books, the meaning towards kids, the possible implications, and everything that I think, believe and feel. So, I will not repeat all of that, just go read it here. Hmm... Do I think the education system need to be more strict on what children are exposed to in books? No, I don't. Also, the education system really has nothing to do with what is in the book that a child is reading. They don't. Yes, many YA books are set in schools, based around issues in school, and have something to do with it, but that book is written by an author with their view of school, and EVERY school in America has nothing to do with it. 
   At my school, a 6-12, my librarian is responsible to a book for every single reading level in the school. Crazy, huh? I don't know how she does it, but I guess that is why she is the Magical Ninja Librarian. Therefor at my school you are responsible for selecting a book that fits your needs, wants, and comfortability level, and our librarian has nothing to do with that choice. Yes, you have the option to pick up that book, but you could also go buy it at a bookstore and it would have nothing to do with the school. 
   So in short, no, I do not think that the school system should be more strict on what children are exposed to. (That took a long time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I reads every comment, and I'm so happy you want to let us know what you thought.